Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Road Ahead


On Tuesday morning, I got this from the mail. Inside was an invitation to run the 2010 Standard Chartered Hongkong Marathon.

No, I'm not that special, it's just that the HKAA has a mailing list of all previous entrants and they have budget for invites sent the old school way.

This pack contains a race map as big as a cartolina and in full color. The 2010 edition of the HK marathon will still include two tunnels (one of which below sea level), the same flyovers, but instead of just two bridges, it will now feature three. In addition to the Tsing Ma and the Ting Kau bridges, runners will have to go through the Stonecutter's bridge.


The cut-off time remains the same -- 5:30.

There's plenty of time between now and February. If I really work hard at it, I can probably make it to the cut-off time. It's really tempting. I have this strong need to redeem myself, after showing up in 2009 ill-prepared with a total disrespect for the marathon distance. I want to go back to Hongkong a stronger, better and smarter runner. I want my HK Marathon redux to end in a blaze of glory. Hongkong can wait.

In the meantime, training starts again. This time, for the Cebu City Marathon on 01-10-10 where I hope to significantly improve my QCIM time. There's really nothing like running in your own backyard.



Speaking of training, there are those who say that if you want to improve your time, there must be specificity of training. Meaning no swimming, no biking. On the other hand, Leica Carpo became fast (enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon) in just two years by incorporating triathlon (White Rock) training into her regimen.

Hmmm. What to do?

3 comments:

vard said...

hi atty, i've seen ur name in the registrants of dumaguete marathon, why dont you post it in your blog. so that Cebuanos will flock to dumaguete on Nov. 22. :-)

Marathon Foodie said...

Hello Vard!

I'm still writing it. I'm going to Dumag via bus (Santander) then fast craft (to Sibulan), then jeepney (to Dumag (proper)!


I think I saw your name too. Kadungog ko na murag mas maayo kung magdala ka ug imo kaugalingon hydration belt if you're doing 25K.

Also, why do they insist on calling it the Dumaguete Marathon when it's only 25K?
=)

runabbyrun said...

i love dumaguete. i must be out of touch. when is this haids?