Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The hills are alive!

I focused on reminding myself I was running my race and not trying to keep pace with somebody. It's about your journey -- not everybody else's journey. -- Jennifer Beals, actress, on her first road race.


Marathon day started just like all the other long run Sundays. My two alarm clocks went off at exactly 2:30 in the morning and with rote precision I did my routine – wash up, dress-up, tape the feet, put petroleum jelly on the toes and elsewhere where seams touch the skin, wear socks with toes, wear shoes with chip, put on the race number, eat whole wheat pan de sal with peanut butter chased with isotonic water, wear cap after eating.

By 3AM
the big bad city was still fast asleep, but the Marathon Foodie was ready to go. I locked Eugene’s house and walked to where the cabbies were waiting. In my best neutral Tagalog, I gave firm directions for the driver to take me to the Quezon City Hall or at least up to where the road blocks were.

When I arrived at the starting area, the other Cebuano runners were already there. We were all in high spirits and took lots of photos. At exactly 4:30 AM the starting gun went off and there was no turning back. This is it. The culmination of three months of hard-work and sacrifice.

By the time we reached KM2 inside UP, I was running 6:30min/km. This was a full minute and a half too fast. I slowed down and enjoyed the route. The academic oval looked surreal in the dark as I ran to "Police On My Back" by The Clash.

As we exited towards Commonwealth Avenue, I was amazed at what I saw. All eight lanes of the north-bound side were closed to vehicular traffic. Commonwealth had turned from the country's most dangerous highway to a runner's playground.

There was plenty of water and 100 Plus on this part of the route, I stopped for a sip or two on each one of them. We made our way to Batasan, which literally smelled of uncollected garbage, but the people on the side of the road were cheerful and encouraging. I joined the 5:15 pacers. Yeah right. I knew I was being over optimistic.

Then the hills began rolling. I said OK ra. I run the hills of Banawa three times a week, this should be no problem. Just as we were entering a quiet village called East Fairview, we saw the lead pack with the Kenyan runners and Cris Sabal making their way back to the QC Memorial Circle.

I soon discovered that East Fairview Village connected to the La Mesa Eco Park, where the hills just kept coming. This was no Banawa. This was like running in Nivel Hills towards Busay, which I've only done once. Then I felt a slight twitch on my right leg. It wasn't painful, but I knew what it was. This was a prelude to a leg cramp.

I took off my earphones and listened to my body. No pain. I leaned and shifted my weight forward to ease the pressure on my legs as I landed. It worked. The legs felt easy, but I was much slower. The soldiers patrolling the park told me -- "Primera lang ma'am paakyat kaya mo yan".

Running 5 kilometers inside the Eco Park and the La Mesa Dam was a truly beautiful experience. But it was also the most difficult. Aside from the hills, there was no water throughout this portion of the route. There was water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink. As I negotiated the last kilometer towards the park's exit, I met a bunch of gentlemen in their 50's who asked me if it was my first marathon. I said -- "Opo." Then the one whom everyone addressed as Dr. told me it's all in the mind hija. "I'll see you at the finish line", he said. Then he and his friends sped away.

I was counting on drinking water at the water station just beyond KM 22 as we exited the park, but there was none. I told myself it's all in the mind, water will miraculously appear. But still there was none, not even chunks of ice to suck on and I was really, really thirsty after running more than 5KM sans water. The need to conserve my energy, prevented me from getting mad.

At this point I lost the 5:15 pacers. I decided not to join the 5:30 or the 5:45. I thought it was better to run the race alone. No pressure.

I saw another water station just before SM Fairview, but the runner ahead of me just got the last cup of water. I begged the marshal for water. There was a shed nearby with a gallon of mystery water. It belonged to uniformed MMDA personell I think. I drank a cup and said "Thank you Manong MMDA." Beggars can't be choosy.


After SM Fairview, I really didn't know where I was. I've never been to this place before. I just knew the general area to be Fairview, which on the QC map looked like a really big chunk of land. I was hoping to see a road sign that would say Commonwealth because I knew that meant the road towards the Circle where the finish line was. Frankly, as a promdi in the big city, I was more afraid of getting lost than running out of water. Thankfully, the race marshals with QCIM shirts whether on foot, mounted on bikes and motorcycles were everywhere.

Finally, I reached the start of Commonwealth Avenue and the unforgiving hills coming one after the other began again. I tricked my mind to thinking that I was running in Cebu and not on those unfamiliar hills. I kept thinking, if I were running my LSD from Capitol to Danao Cebu, where would I be at this point? It made all those lonely miles seem easier. When I reached KM 29 to 32, I imagined that I was running in the roads of Danao with the Camotes Sea to my right. I couldn't hear the buses and cars stuck in traffic on the other side of Commonwealth, all I could hear was the sound of the sea in my head.


Now what's the Marathon Foodie to do after crossing 32KM? My mental picture was up to KM 32 in Danao City only. With no more mind tricks and imagery to occupy me I started noticing the pain on my left chest, my thighs and the left side of my back. Coach Precing once told me that from KM 32 to the finish line, I will feel pain everywhere, even the nails and the hair will seem painful. Coach told me "It will be the longest 10K of your life. But no matter what happens, do not stop running bahala na ug hinay, or your legs will lock."

So I turned to power words and phrases. Words like courage, strength, and don't stop believing. I also thought of reserving a little for the final 300 meters. I wanted to sprint and not hobble towards the finish line. So reserve, reserve, reserva troncal! What?!? Anyway, that went on until I reached North Avenue towards Trinoma.

As the time elapsed ticked away from 5:00 to 5:15 to 5:20, I kept thinking there's no way I could run faster than Katie Holmes' 5:30 NY marathon time, but I'll be damned if I finish my first full mary at 6:00. I thought that would be a real letdown.

So power words and the need to finish with pride propelled me towards the home stretch. After exiting North Avenue, I saw that the elliptical road was already opened to vehicles. Oh no! How do I cross this thing? Thankfully there were two other male runners struggling to cross eight lanes of traffic and we made it together. As I saw a crowd 250 meters away, I knew this was it. Irene Kara's "Fame" was playing on my MP3 and with everything I had left, I lifted my legs and sprinted at a 4:15min/km pace and crossed the finish line at 5:47:53 (unofficial Garmin time).

It was proudest I had ever felt in a really long time.

For now, I'm happy with the way I performed. I'm glad I made my own race not about targeting a specific time, but all about endurance, mental toughness and chutzpah. I know now, without any doubt in my mind that as far as mental toughness goes, I have it in me to finish a marathon. Hopefully, I'm able to translate this new-found power to real world situations that I deal with everyday.
I know there's plenty of room for improvement. I know I've to shed 10 pounds and strengthen my core muscles and lower extremeties. My speed needs serious work and my legs have miles and miles to go.

I realize that finishing the QCIM isn't the be all and end all of my running "career". I'm only 32 and I'm just getting started. As the first woman to ever win the gold in the Olymic marathon Joan Benoit Samuelson once said -- "Running is a lifetime pursuit. Your paces may vary at different times, and you might have to walk sometimes. But if you set goals, and have passion, and believe in yourself, anything is possible. You only have to just do it."


P.S. I met Ray Abenojar on KM 39 and did not even know it. Thanks Ray for the ice candied Gatorade! You were an angel. And to all the strangers who were kind enough to pass on a banana from their cars on KM 37, and Kate the volunteer nurse and her Salonpas spray at KM 36, to Jazzrunner Rene Villarta and to the wonderful people of Quezon City who sacrificed a lot just so we could run this marathon-- THANK YOU!

Photo Credit: Lovena Guardo

24 comments:

carlo said...

congratulations on your finish, attorney! too bad we weren't able to see each other during this race.

recover well - for the cebu city marathon and the SC HK marathon =)

schlagger said...

congrats on your full mary. :) btw, i was pacing with those "older" gentlemen you met from batasan all the way out of la mesa. pretty amusing folks. :) and the guy in red at your back in the pic, is my running buddy. (oh yeah, he's also a lawyer) :)

Ling said...

congrats! you survived your first marathon in the toughest marathon race in the country!

i will post my insights on the 10K of the qcim later. i have to recuperate my energies from my trip to manila.

Cerrone said...

Congratulations! and Good Luck sa Cebu Marathon.... more power to you!

vard said...

congrats, for finishing that marathon (the marathon where john pages called marathon in hell)

Negley said...

Congratulations haids! You should be proud of yourself because it was the toughest marathon according to reviews. Never mind Katie Holmes' time because it was supposedly dubious.:)

Marathon Foodie said...

Hello Charles!

It was a good race despite the lack of water. And the difficult course made finishing QCIM extra special. =)

How did you do? Wala pa yung post mo sa multiply.

=)

Marathon Foodie said...

Salamat Carl!

Congrats din sayo. I read your post. Parang ang sakit nung cramps even if I was just reading about it. Your right about the bananas. I dipped mine in iodized salt and ate one before the race. Wala kasi akong salt tablets. It helped.

=)

Marathon Foodie said...

Hello Ling!

Congrats pud nimo. Mag 21K na ka sa Cebu City Marathon?

=)

Marathon Foodie said...

Hello Cerrone!

Thank you. I'm getting into triathlon na pud pero hinay-hinay lang. Hopefully it will make me faster and injury free.

The boys at Sugbutri are helping me out.

=)

Marathon Foodie said...

Hello Vard and Negley!

Salamat! Managan ta ninyo sa 01-10-10. Alegre ni kay atu-a na jud ni.

=)

Anonymous said...

Hi Haids! Congrats for finishing the QCIM. Don't worry about ur time, u'll gonna break it soon. With ur dedication & perseverance, nothing is impossible.

Joy

Marathon Foodie said...

Thank you Joy!

Ok ra the time. I'm just happy it's not 6! Haha! I'll do better at CCM.

See you at the oval.

=)

Ling said...

oh yes, atty., mag 21k ko! ako pud gipang encourage akong mga friends to try it! murag maka-tungas jud ko anin og busay!

runabbyrun said...

hi haids! made a rule not to read about your experience after i've had my own. na hadlok lang gyud ko. two days ago, i also conquered the distance. yes, the facebook message you sent me which i read at dawn of friday ( i woke up at odd hours due to jitters)sure helped me. huge road signs in pampanga trumpeting subic to be 30km away, then 18km away, then 15km away, was pure hell to read. i tried imagining na lang where i would be in cebu kung 16kms to go pa. that helped. lack of water also plagued sim 09. i hope this will not be the case in 01-10-10.right ka haids, there were really long stretches of the sctex were lights were non existent. grabe ka dark! but anyway, we finished and we finished safely. im just resting til end of october then start training again for our own cebu marathon. thanks for the advice! helped me a lot. and congratulations! late but much much more with feeling. see you around!

Marathon Foodie said...

Hello Abby!

I'm so happy to learn you did well at SIM. Congratulations. 5:14 is not bad at all. Gamay na lang ma-sub 4 na. Just stay injury free. Maybe next year mag Subic na ko pero magda daw ug headlights. =)

After conquering the distance, anything is possible because now you know you can do it. Basin sunod nako madung-gan mag ultra na ka. =)

runabbyrun said...

haha. ultra karon. ikaw gani, triathlete...! yup, its so true about post marathon blues no? murag after that, what? now back to life and reality...! til the next training.

ps. bitaw some of the runners were prepared enough to wear headlights. another thing to consider was the cold gyud. akong balahibo ga sigeg tindog sa ka bugnaw, labi nag mu hangin.

porouslogs said...

Congrats marathonfoodie and all the 42k finishers, Most mammals can sprint faster than humans — having four legs gives them the advantage. But when it comes to long distances, humans can outrun almost any animal.

Anonymous said...

Congrats haids! for finishing the race..keep running!


dale

Marathon Foodie said...

Salamat Dale!

=)

Marathon Foodie said...

Hello Gerard!

Salamat!

celso said...

hello foodie,

Congrats... I also run for my first half marathon at QCIM.

I'm a cebuano but working here in cavite. Hope to run with you on your next marathon here.

Gingerbreadman said...

Congratulations Haide :) Very nice. That's an awesome marathon debut time! Too bad I didn't get to see you there, I ran the 21k. I'n running the Cebu Marathon! Maybe I'll see you there haha. :)

alaskarunner said...

I also run the QCIM but as a pacer for the 4:45 .Just build your aerobic base .