Sunday, June 28, 2009

Beginnings



After months of procrastination, I finally found the time to write my first blog entry.

I chose Marathon Foodie for a blog name because it encompasses two of the things I am truly passionate about – good food and running a marathon.

I would have wanted to name this blog “Foodie on the Run”, but I’ve been beaten to the punch by an American blogger based in Reading, Pennsylvania – a triathlete who loves to cook, loves to eat and competes in races in order to give her a guilt-free indulgence in all these loves. Just like Foodie on the Run, the Marathon Foodie runs because she won’t give up her “humba” (Cebuano term for pork stew).

In Cebu we have Dr. Yong Larrazabal’s “Run for Sight” but this is not a blog. My favorite sports blog, John Pages’ “Cebu Sports Blog” has become a vital source of information for updates on the local sports scene, but John’s blog is written entirely in English and is not solely dedicated to running.

Being a diary of sorts, the Marathon Foodie will track
in Cebuano and English my torrid love affair with running. I thought that writing a bilingual running blog would not only be a unique idea, but will hopefully reach out to bisdaks (bisayang dako) who are passionate about running too. Admittedly, writing in Cebuano is so much harder than writing in English, but I will try my best to write in elegant conversational Cebuano.

The creation of this blog was inspired by The Bull Runner – Jaymie Pizzaro’s wildly-popular and award-winning blog, which has become an authority on anything running. After four months of following TBR’s blog, I am convinced that a blog or a web diary can become an effective tool in tracking my progress as a runner. But the bigger vision is for this blog to become a place where newbie runners in Cebu can converge for helpful information about training, race schedules, race reviews, products, and practically all things relevant to running. This blog will also feature stories about runners, both veterans and novices that will hopefully inspire runners to persevere and become better at the sport.

The Marathon Foodie is my humble contribution to Cebu’s running scene.



1 comment:

NoBadJob said...

HI Marathon foodie!

I am jodl, a newbie runner. Its truly remarkable how this sport is gaining ground in Cebu, thanks in part to you and countless number of people blogging about their running experiences.. well for me, i just started to run and have fun while doing it.

anyway, see you one day on the road in one of the races here sa ato. Hey do you happen to know where to register for the races you mentioned in your blog?