Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Pound of Cure


Two days after the University Run, I found myself knocking on Dr. Renald Peter Ramiro's clinic at Cebu Doctor's Hospital. Dr. Ramiro specializes in rehabilitation medicine and electromyography. He is also a runner and kindred spirit, and so when I went on and on about the pain in my foot, I was sure he knew what it really felt like.





My condition is called plantar fasciitis (pronounced PLAN-tar fashee-EYE-tiss).
It is one of the most common injuries that runners suffer from. It can be caused by a great number of things, but mine was caused by a sudden increase in the weekly mileage. In my effort to bump my miles in so short a time, I tried to cramp too many miles every week, which i wasn't ready for. Plus, I have a flat right foot and an overpronator.

Runners who suffer from plantar fasciitis alter how they run: shortening stride length, foot striking with toes first rather than heel first, and running on the outside border of the foot are among the alterations, all of which can lead to a host of other injuries including knee pain, hip pain, back pain, or other foot pain.

In the case of the Marathon Foodie, my altered gait and foot strike also caused pain on my right forefoot, a condition called metatarsalgia. Because I did not address the first injury as soon as it hit me, I now had to deal with not only one but two types of injuries.





I was in pain. So much so that I could not even wear my leather shoes to court and I couldn't walk even with just flip flops on at home. It was either I wore my rubber shoes (with lots of cushioning) to work or I just sit all day at home and not walk.

Thankfully, there are ways to manage or even correct plantar fasciitis.

Dr. Ramiro prescribed that I undergo physical therapy sessions at Cebu Doctor's Hospital Rehab Med Dept. with my friendly licensed Physical Therapists Namy Casia and Amado Boyet Cortes, who both so graciously explained to the Marathon Foodie everything about the treatment and how to better avoid injuries in the future.



Namy uses a little gadget called TENS or Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator, which aids pain relief and hot packs on the affected foot.

Then there's the ultrasound machine used with the Fastum gel, which is supposed to speed up recovery. Namy also taught me exercises using the blue theraband to strengthen the muscles at the sides of my leg which was weak and contributed to my injury.




Boyet on the other hand tapes my right foot. Now this taping technique performs a little miracle. After taping, I can't feel the pain on my heel and forefoot! It also worked wonders in giving my flat foot the extra support that I need to prevent injury. But, taping is only for short term relief.

In order to correct the biomechanical issues involving my flat right foot and overpronation, Dr. Ramiro advised me to have made-to-order orthotics (shoe inserts).





But orthotics are expensive -- almost like buying a brand new pair of running shoes. The Marathon Foodie is still saving up for it, and waiting for the opportunity to fly to Manila and try out the custom fit insoles (while-you-wait) at Runnr -- that new store at Bonifacio High Street which specializes in running gear that runner-bloggers have been raving about.

For Cebu runners who might need custom made orthotics, there's Arnold Balais at Rm. 118 Centro Maximo Bldg. in Jakosalem St. (2538242). Arnold made the custom fit insoles of running guru Raffy Uytiepo and the Guardo brothers.

I'm so behind my training schedule already, it's depressing. I blame myself for not taking better care of my foot. I kick myself for all those rushed, even skipped stretching sessions before and after a training run. I hit myself in the head for ignoring the pain when it first hit me in the 1st week of August. If I did seek help then, I would have been healed by now.

I take heart in the fact that this injury has made me learn so much from my rookie runner mistakes. You know the cliche -- Rome wasn't built in a day. Same goes for running. It takes time -- lots of it -- to build a solid running base.

They are unforgettable lessons about injury that no book on running could have taught me. Well, books would have told me the same thing, but I wouldn't have believed it until the pain struck me.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Haide-- i hope you recover quickly from your injury and get those feet pounding the roads again!

Marathon Foodie said...

Hello Rene!

Thanks for visiting the blog. Medyo ayos na sya. Will make do with over the counter insoles and heel pads muna until I can get the real orthotics.

Good luck to all of you preparing for QCIM. I'm sure you're really busy getting all the logistics and execution together for the big day!

=)

Gingerbreadman said...

Hey Haide, I hope you recover soon! Being an ITB sufferer myself, I can empathize with how injuries can slow us down tremendously. First time to visit your blog, keep it up! :) I like the spirit and tone behind it. Dagan tayo minsan pag mapunta ako didha sa Cebu hehe.

Marathon Foodie said...

Hello Gingerbreadman!

Thanks for visiting Marathon Foodie. =)

Takbo tayo ni Carl pag nagawi ka sa Cebu!

I visited your blog and loved the Musings of the Lonely, Injured Runner.

Pareho pala tayo not built like a runner and slow pati, but the important thing is we run anyway. =)

runabbyrun said...

hi haids, kalooy. that's why i haven't seen you in the oval nor at the weekend races. i hope you're ok na. yeah, its depressing to be not running no? i too rub fastum gel after every long run. name the injury i've had it, from the most painful ITBS to shin pains to plantar fasciitis. but i've always managed. so i take it you wont be running qcim or subic?

Marathon Foodie said...

Hello Abs!

The jury is still out on that one! As they say, May Bukas Pa you know. =)

Duna pud kay orthotics?

Gingerbreadman said...

Glad you liked it Haide, thanks for visiting my blog as well :) Yup, not prototypical runners and we're slow, but the important thing is we have a blast out of it :)

runabbyrun said...

hi haids, bitaw may bukas pa pa gyud (",). glad to say am not yet at that stage of wearing othotics.
maybe nasobrahan ra gyud your training. hadlok gyud ko anang drastic increase in mileage. thats why my training now calls for 3 days of rest and cross training which is not easy as i used to run 6 days a week of at least 6 to 10km. but anyways, rest lang para sa 01-10-10, di ba? take care

Anonymous said...

Hello Marathon Foodie,

With the professional help you're getting: Rehab Med and PT, you're really getting your pound of cure (and some extra ounces, too)

Soon, you'll be catching up on your training sked.

See you on the road!

Ray

Marathon Foodie said...

Hello Ray!

For my ounce of prevention, I'm checking out chi running. It's supposed to keep you in "zen state" while running and will keep you injury free. =)

Kita ta sa dan. Paila-ila pag magkita ta!

crxxxx said...

recover well, haids. i'm sure you'll be sprinting all the way when you get back on the asphalt/concrete :)

Marathon Foodie said...

Salamat Carl!

Good luck sa Rota Run and Eco Dash mo! =)