Saturday, July 4, 2009

Battle Ready


It is past ten in the evening and my alarm clock has been set for 3:00 AM the next day. I know I should be sleeping already, but my restless legs syndrome won't let me. It's always like this on the eve of a race. Moreso on a night like this, on the eve of my first ever Milo 21K race.

I've set a modest goal for myself -- a 2:25 finish for the half marathon. But if you consider that I clocked 2:55 in the Sinulog half marathon in January this year and 2:40 at the Condura Skyway Run in March, 2:25 or a good 15 minutes faster may be setting the bar too high. Is it possible to improve by as much as thirty minutes in just six months?

But as they say, nothing is impossible with a little prayer. I sign out tonight with the runner's prayer, which I found while trawling the net for running inspiration. I hope it inspires you too.


Lord,
Watch over me today as I run.
This is the day
and this is the time for the race.

Watch over my body.
Keep it free from injury.

Watch over my mind.
May I listen to the signals from within
as I enjoy the scenes from without.

Watch over my spirit.
Watch over my competitors.
Remind us that we all are struggling equally.

Lord,
Let me win.
Not by coming in ahead of my friends, but by beating myself.

Let it be an inner win.
A battle won over me.

And may I say at the end,
"I have fought a good fight.
I have finished the race.
I have kept the faith."

Amen.

(Adapted from The Ultrarunner’s Prayer by Carolyn Erdman & Jay Hodde)

No comments: